Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 3 - Wildlife Rehabilitation


Rocky and I had a long session in the dog park this morning. He gets so hot with his black hair - I have never seen him pant so much. After breakfast I went to the local laundry. The woman ahead of us had just washed her horse’s blankets in the machines. I will enjoy doing laundry, in a clean machine, when we get home. When Rob and I left the laundry we saw a chap grilling racks of ribs. He gave us a taster and we could not resist buying a full rack to take home for lunch. As the day progressed it got hotter and hotter. The boys read while I chatted to the locals and got the car windows clean. I discovered some water balloons in the camper. They were soon filled and battles were waged. When the lawn sprinklers were switched on – the boys spent time playing ‘piggy in the middle’ with the balloons while getting blasted by the jets of water from the sprinklers. I also enjoyed the sprinklers.
This evening we visited a centre for the rehabilitation of injured wild animals. On our way there we passed some Osprey nesting on an old bridge. My highlight was seeing bald and golden eagles at close range. The females are much larger than the males – they were astounding. We also saw wolf, cougar, bobcat, grizzly and brown bear up close. It seem that this centre is doing good work. 80% of animals received there are released back into the wild.
Somehow evenings slip away from us. Before we know it, it is 9pm and we are only starting dinner. While staying here I feel as though we are having a break from our trip. We are doing very little and enjoying the comfort of not having to be on the move each day. I think our bodies will be recharged by the time we leave on Sunday.

3 comments:

Steffers said...

What a wonderful trip you are all having - wish I was there with you!

What are s'mores?

nikki said...

hey duck we miss you to, glad you having a great time, whats ant reading? please tell mike thanks for sms, will chat over weekend hopefully... off to zoo with shaun and jess to see bird and reptile show..

Paul said...

duckie, eh - I'll have fun with that one! LOL