Monday, July 20, 2009

July 9 - Lighthouse and beach



While on my walk with Rocky this morning the ‘camp-cryer’ reminded me that the Junior Ranger program was starting at 10am. It was already 9:15 and Rob was still asleep. We managed to cook bacon and French toast and have him fed on time for the program. He still learns so much from these programs although he is usually the oldest there. I spent the rest of the morning procrastinating about doing laundry. I finally committed to a bike ride to the lighthouse and planned to go in to town later. Once we had toured the lighthouse we went onto the beach. Well – that occupied the rest of the day. The boys dug and designed, and every time a wave destroyed their creations – they just started again. It is nice to see them co-operating so well. I enjoyed flying our kite but almost lost it when it dived down behind the breakwater and landed in the river. I was able to retrieve it, only after being soaked by the waves. The wind is chilly but if you can find a spot in the sun out of the wind it is wonderful. While riding back to the camper I watched some sail surfers out on the waves. We had an early dinner and attended a talk about Cranberries. The area of Brandon produces some of the best-colored cranberries in the nation. I had no idea! Cranberries are grown in only a few places in the US – northwest and northeast. We had some cranberry juice and snacks after the talk.

No comments: