Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June 7 - A dream come true


For as long as I can remember I have wanted to see Fallingwater. I was just sad that I was not able to have my brother with me. He is an architect and I still remember him studying Frank Lloyd Wright’s works when he was a college student. I was surprised at how small the rooms are and how low the ceilings hang. The house is suspended over the stream of Bear Run, just before it tumbles over a waterfall. I felt it was too high above the falls – I would have liked to see the bottom level of the house at water level. There are six decks, which more than double the living space of the house. The main house has only four bedrooms. Many doors are very narrow and there are stairs everywhere. Albert Einstein stayed there at one time. After taking many photos I finally agreed to leave.

We discovered a wonderful bike trail system. The Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, WV. It in turn links up to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath which continues from Cumberland to Washington DC. Much of the PA route follows old railway routes. It seems fairly common out here that when railways were no longer in use – bike trails have been developed along those routes.

3 comments:

norm said...

A few years back, before the Great Allegheny Passage was completed (it went as far as Meyersdale, PA), a friend and I biked from Pittsburgh to Washington, camping along the way. It is a glorious trip, one that you would probably enjoy. If those folks in the photo are your family, it would be a trip for them and you to remember for a long time. Maps are available on-line at: http://www.atatrail.org/

Anonymous said...

hi jan,rob, ant and mike, i hope you are enjoying your trip it sounds wonderful. jm i hope you have lots of pictures of falling waters, i am very envious. boys i want to know what your favourite ice cream flavours are, take care no news yet from embassy i had to go and get a medical on monday.
take care, nuttynikki

Unknown said...

Hi Janet & boyz-
I once visited the Dana-Thomas House, a 1902 Frank Lloyd Wright house in Springfield Illinois. It was also very cramped inside - Mr Wright apparently didn't want to make many concessions to the family living inside one of his artworks.
-- Jay