Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June 6 - Ohiopyle






Today we spent time exploring the little town of Ohiopyle. Rafting, cycling and the falls are the big attractions. There is a post office – we finally got some bills mailed – and many places to eat burgers and ice cream. We found one of the local outfitters to be most helpful when I presented our tattered and torn burley to them asking for some advice on how to fix it. Now that we have the straps and buckles I need to start sewing. Where is my sewing machine when I need it?

Our park map indicated some natural water slides so we made a beeline there after a lunch of large milk shakes. We arrived to find a raging torrent of water cascading down some lovely sandstone exposures. We decided that the safest area to swim was in some pools below the slides. The current was swift so I positioned myself to catch the boys if they were swept through the pools. The cold water was lovely.

On our way back to the campsite we discovered the Cucumber Falls. After strolling down to the base of the waterfall, we found a path leading behind the cascade of water. It is so different to see the water from the “underside”.

No comments: