Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cornwall June 6

Steph and I started the day with a walk around Ivybridge. 8am in the morning is a noisy and busy time of day to be walking through town. Motorists do not yield for pedestrians so it can be difficult to cross streets. The river running through town, coming off the moor was full and noisy. After saying goodbye to Steph we drove into Cornwall and started exploring the cost. Getting down into the harbors was fun. The roads down to the waterfront are narrow and quite scary. Sometimes you get yourself into a narrowing road going nowhere, so one solution is to back up - a harrowing experience in this large car, but I turned around in the smallest of places just to escape the dead end. While travelling down to Charleston harbor we were just inches from people's front doors. This picture actually shows a particularly wide section of the road. When I was exploring the village I negotiated my way around the back of these houses only to find that the back door to the house is actually a door out of the attic window! Two floors above the front street level. These small fishing towns no longer rely on the fishing industry, but on tourism. As a result ice cream and Cornish pasty stores are everywhere. There were two tall ships in the dock at Charleston. Maintenance work was being done on both of the ships. I wonder if they play to sail them on the open seas. We ended our day at the Minack Theatre, near Lands End. Each time I am in Cornwall I return to the theatre, and I love it more each time. Last time we were here it was cold, windy and raining, and Michael added some entertainment by locking the keys in the car, this time was rather subdued. The weather was perfect, seats were superb, and play was good.

No comments: