Wednesday, May 12, 2010

August 9 - Paddling the river and playing with cousins



Rob and I got up early to prepare a large breakfast for the family. They arrived at 9:30am. We had tonnes to eat, and then hit the river. Jeremy had brought his canoe and inflatable raft with him, so we all took turns to paddle the river from one end of town to the other. Mike and I got dumped on one of the rapids - cold and rough - because I was being too timid. After that I was much more aggressive on the white water and had a lot more fun. Rob and I took turns riding to the end of town with the burley, to collect the rafters and help bring the boats back to the top of town. Jem had so much fun in his canoe, it was a joy to see him smiling so much. We paddled till 7pm, then enjoyed a wonderful dinner thanks to gran. She had arrived during the afternoon and brought a pre-cooked meal with her. Jem and Syl left for home leaving Gran and I in charge of five excited kids. Ant, Rob and Ryan decided to sleep in the tent, which left the camper to Mike and I. Gran and Ash stayed in the adjoining motel. The night was slated to be warmer than the one before, but we still gave the tenters lots of blankets.

No comments: